Thursday, January 13, 2011

My 16yo wants her learner's permit...

It seems to me that teens get their permits and driver's licenses so much earlier now. I know it's not the case really, different situation kind of thing. I am not really against teens driving, just against carelessness and recklessness.

Must have been about two years ago when we started talking about if we would let the kids get their permits and then their license. At that point we decided that the individual would have to have good grades (requirement by the state), show maturity and be responsible.

The oldest turned 16 in November. She has neither a permit nor a license.

G1 has become resigned to the fact that she probably will not be getting it anytime soon either. The responsibility to get her school work done is not there, so how can we expect her to be responsible enough to drive a car? This bias comes from myself being a good student and still doing stupid things once I got my license a month before my 18th birthday.

Her protests made me rethink as to just why I stuck to my guns. Then it hit me. Driving is a privilege. Even for adults, driving is a privilege. There is no requirement saying that we have to let our kids get their license. So I am sticking to my guns, even if I am a 'meany'.

No comments:

Post a Comment