Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Working on #Wellness

It is not easy to change from a life of unwell to a life of wellness.

I have had signs for YEARS that my body was revolting against my lack of health-minded habits. I was diagnosed with arthritis at 16, 16! While there is arthritis in the family, it had always been late onset. At that time, we did not have any answers as to why I had developed arthritis. The diagnosis came after I had weeks of extreme cramping and pain in my hands.

When I was 22 I had to have my gallbladder removed after my second pregnancy. It was ugly and there was no saving it. The organ had been inflamed the entire pregnancy and sent me to the emergency room when the baby was only 6 weeks old. Two weeks later I had it removed and my digestive system has never recovered.

From the time I was about 14 I had an occasional migraine every couple months, after my gallbladder came out the migraines increased to 14-20 days a month with one.

Doctors were unsure of why, but gave me prescriptions. Some helped, some didn't, some gave me some really bad side effects. I stopped taking them after one gave me a bad reaction. I decided I would just deal with it, and I did until I went to college.

Functioning through day to day tasks aren't horrid when you know what is coming. Learning and thinking changes from day to day especially with the increased tasks. At this point, I started watching what caused the migraines. I noticed that sometimes the migraines and arthritic flares would coincide.

Migraine wise I have three different ones.
  1. Triggered by hormones (Thank you, Aunt Flo)
  2. Triggered by barometric pressure (Thank you mother earth)
  3. Triggered by certain food additives (Thank you, Uncle Sam)
The first two I decided I would leave be while I focused on the third. Interesting thing is that when the third one started getting under control, the other two did too.

Food determines a lot of our health, it truly is garbage in, garbage out.  I have to work at keeping the bad stuff out of my system. I am not there yet. 

So what is it that my system has issues with? MonoSodium Glutamate, Dairy Products, Red 40 food color, Yellow 5 and 6 food color, Carmel Color, High Fructose Corn Syrup, ANY artificial/processed sweetener,  nightshade family (many spices, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, white potatoes, etc)

Every time I cheat it takes a while to get back on the train. Wellness is about a lifestyle, not just diet. While food is the foundation stone to your physical life, exercise is important. The sedentary lifestyle that many have picked up from their work schedules is not good. If nothing else on your break walk around the parking lot for 15 minutes. Take the stairs instead of the elevator.

How do you work on your wellness?

  • I am working on a recipe book for our family that is "safe" for all of us. (Our youngest has several food sensitivities too.) 
  • Planning a few fall hikes for the family. We live in an area perfect for a nice hike.
  • Teaching the kids how to cook also. This will not only help in the day to day but also prepare them for being an adult.




No comments:

Post a Comment