Thursday, December 16, 2010

Drop Biscuits and what?!? Chocolate Gravy? *Chocolate Covered Anything Day

It has been a crazy week and this morning made it worse. As a mom and college student there are tricky schedules to keep. This week included four snow days for the kids while I had my finals for college. Take comfort in knowing that everybody has survived.

This morning in particular, I had to be at Austin Peay (APSU) before 8am for my last final. This meant that I needed to leave the house between 6 and 6:30. (We have had winter weather this week so I did not know what to expect with the roads) Needless to say, when there is not a schedule, the children slept in. I had taken my final and was back home before the girls got up, and the boys had only been up long enough to eat breakfast.

All of this explained, I felt the need to make a scratch treat. So I made drop biscuits and chocolate gravy. Isn't it a must since today, December 16th, is National Chocolate Covered Anything Day?

I figure I must share recipes then, correct? To start with the biscuits, it's just grandma's baking powder biscuit. We use almond milk instead of cow's milk.

Drop Biscuits Covered in Chocolate Gravy

Drop Biscuits
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup butter
  • 1 cup milk
Preheat oven to 450'. Mix your dry ingredients. form a bowl in the middle of the mixture for butter and milk. (make sure your butter is softened) Stir with a wooden spoon until completely mixed. Use a table spoon to 'drop' biscuits on a cookie sheet. Makes 12-15.  Cook 10-12 minutes dependent on your oven.

Chocolate Gravy
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 tablespoon butter
Mix dry ingredients in saucepan and then add milk. Over a medium flame stir until gravy thickens to desired consistency. (If needed you can add a little flour) Once thick, remove from flame. Add vanilla and butter. Absolutely WONDERFUL on hot biscuits.

No comments:

Post a Comment