Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Thinking about Motherhood

Being a mom is a privilege. Not everybody that wants to be a mom can, and not everybody that can be a mom wants to be. 

I remember when I was planning my life and my career that I had decided I was not going to have children; I was just going to go in the Navy and achieve my dream position in Norad. Obviously, “MY” plan for my life did not come about.  

When it came time to talk to my parents about what I was going to do once graduating high school I was told no to the Navy. The part that surprised me was that I listened. It may have been the only thing I listened about in those rocky teen years, but that obedience has put me where I am today.

I can honestly say that if somebody had told me seventeen years ago that I would have six children that call me mom and that I enjoyed it most of the time, I would have thought they were crazy.

Being a mom is not easy. There is the sleepless nights, the fixing boo boos, therapies (for special needs kids), sporting events, band concerts, being there when they are disappointed, and the list goes on. However, there are also snuggles and cuddles and the goofing off times that far outweigh the hard times.

While I can mope about not being a perfect mom, I choose not to. Instead, I choose to seize the day and enjoy my kids. And looking at my calendar, I will have many opportunities to do so!

No comments:

Post a Comment